Saturday, October 18, 2014

European History, Day 16

Thursday in European History Since 1648 at UNLV was mid-term day.  The exam consisted of triad essays.  These are groupings of three terms.  Students must provide crucial information about those terms in essays using sources from the class.  The key feature is that their essay must have an argument about the connections between the different terms, an important historical skill.
We’ve covered 200 years of history, touching on a variety of themes in a range of locations using a large number of readings, so this is a way of evaluating how well students are able to chart continuity and change, and make connections between this diverse material.
So the students had an opportunity to demonstrate their command over the substantial amount of material we’ve covered, and I had an hour and fifteen minutes in which to read part of Vivek Chibber’s critique of post-colonialism.

We’ll be back to substantive material next week! 

4 comments:

  1. This Vivek Chibber's keeps coming up...by which I mean he was in one email chain and this blog post. I haven't heard of him before. Should I go seek him out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just recently encountered his work. He's a trenchant critic of post-colonial/subaltern studies from a vantage point that I think is productive. And I'm enjoying his book because he accompanies his analysis with some very snarky asides.

      Delete
  2. Snark Asides!!!.....I'm sold.....I'm gonna go look him up Amazon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had a chance to read beyond the introduction, but so far his critiques are very solid.

      Delete